skip to content

Senior Tutors

Student Services Centre

In this section

College policies and procedures

University policies and procedures

Postgraduate Supervisions

Supervision reports for postgraduate students are submitted via the Cambridge Postgraduate Feedback and Reporting System (PFRS). Reports are open to the student and also available to the College as well as the Course Director, Degree Committee and Student Registry.

Each research student is assigned to a Principal Supervisor who is responsible for guiding the student and writing a termly progress report. All research students and their supervisors should also be supported by a supervisory team which will include an Advisor and may include a second supervisor.

Guidance for supervising postgraduate students can be found on this Moodle page.

Further detailed guidance is set out in the Code of Practice issued by the General Board.

Changing Colleges

It is not normally possible for a student to transfer from one College to another. Colleges will only agree to consider transfers on an exceptional basis and when there are compelling grounds for doing so. When a Senior Tutor agrees that a student has the grounds to change Colleges, and that this would be the best course of action, the Senior Tutor can try and facilitate a College transfer by communicating with Senior Tutors in other Colleges. Any transfer of a student is subject to the agreement of both the outgoing and incoming Colleges.

Changing courses

In order to ensure that Departments and Faculties are made aware of students transferring into or out of their Tripos, and in other cases where students’ course details change, Colleges are asked to complete this Student Course Change form.

Please note that the form should be completed as soon as a student’s request to change subject has been approved internally within the College, including any progress requirements that the College may have set. Only then should it be sent to the relevant University bodies.

Circumstances in which the form should be completed:

  • The College has agreed to a student changing Tripos.
  • A student changes Tripos as a natural result of course choices: for example moving into Chemical Engineering after completing Part IA Engineering, or moving into Part IB Natural Sciences after completing Part IA Mathematics with Physics.
  • A student is given permission by the Examination Access and Mitigation Committee to intermit or to repeat all or part of a year.
  • An appeal launched by a student (either in the College or in the University) results in a change in the student’s study plan; for instance the student is permitted to continue into Part III after having first been denied permission.
  • Any other student circumstance that might affect a Department.

Once complete, the form should be sent to relevant administrative staff in both the new and previous Departments. In the case of the Natural Sciences Tripos, the form should be emailed to the Coordinator for the Natural Sciences Tripos ( Copies should also be sent to the relevant Directors of Studies, Tutor and Tutorial Office.


This document is good practice guidance for Colleges to use as they wish, on student confidentiality arrangements in a welfare context.

Death of a student

This document is a template for a student death response plan that Colleges can adopt or adapt as needed. Given the wide variety of factors that might surround a student’s death, the College’s management and response to each instance will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Serious Incident Case Review

This guidance on responding to a serious incident is available to Colleges to adopt or adapt as needed. Given the wide variety of factors that might surround a serious incident, the College’s management and response to each instance will be determined on a case-by-case basis.


Undergraduate admissions guidance for College staff can be found in the CAO's Undergraduate Admissions Handbook (Raven-protected).

For postgraduate admissions guidance for College staff please go to the PAO's Moodle site.

Destination of Leavers in Higher Education (DLHE) survey

The Student Registry contacts graduands 6 months after completion of their course to undertake a survey of the Destination of Leavers in Higher Education (DHLE) on behalf of the Higher Education Statistical Agency (HESA). Colleges receive request for personal contact details of postgraduate students completing their study during that term, undergraduates annually (usually in May) and one Year postgraduate students (for example Diplomas and Certificates) by 31 July of that year.

Coded information from the survey is sent to HESA and used in anonymised form primarily for statistical analysis. The University also uses such information to prepare statistical analyses about postgraduate destinations. Data is published on the CamDATA: course information and statistics website and is also available on the Careers Service website.

Key contacts

Links to further information